Monday, October 15, 2012

Placemats are Finished!

Back in August, I posted a blog showing how to make some easy, fun placemats as possible Christmas gifts, etc.

Here's the link if you'd like to refresh your memory....

http://www.quiltandsewforever.blogspot.com/2012/08/pretty-but-easy-gift-idea.html

After I sewed the tops together...I put the project aside in order to work on more pressing items. :) But since  summer is over and fall has arrived...I pulled them back out and completed them so that my daughter Amanda can start using them in her new home.

They have turned out so pretty that now I'm almost wishing I could keep them and use them myself.  Oh well...what's a mom to do. :)

Here's the front side:


I'm trying to build my skills for free motion quilting.  This is just a simple "meandering" using my regular home sewing machine.  I plan to try my hand at a larger project this week.  My dream of owning a longarm quilting machine is going to be "just a dream" for a while so I don't really have much choice but continue practicing. :)

I used a metallic fabric that has shades of gold and greens as the binding.  It blends beautifully with the fall colors on the front...and it works perfectly for the back....


As you can see....I used a Christmas Poinsettia print to back the placemats so that they are reversible and all Amanda has to do after Thanksgiving is flip them over and she's all ready for Christmas. :)  She is so happy with them that she wants me to make MORE reversible placemats for other holidays throughout the year.

By making them reversible this certainly cuts down the storage space needed....especially for someone in a small space with very little storage at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment