Thursday, January 8, 2015

Stuffed Animal Surgery and Quilt of Love

Meet Stevie, a stuffed duck belonging to my daughter.....my 17 year old daughter!  I find it very funny and endearing to witness those rare times when your teenager shows that they still have a child's heart, at least towards certain items dear to them.  Stevie has been around for years. He isn't an expensive stuffed animal but he holds special memories. I believe Stevie was a prize awarded at an amusement park...won and given to Kirsten by her daddy.  She has ALWAYS been daddy's little girl.

Stevie required emergency surgery today to repair some ripped stitches on his leg and foot....a result of strong shaking by our Mini-Schnauzer Scamp.  I did what any mom would do, I stopped what I was doing and repaired Stevie.  I believe he will be okay now. :)

Earlier this morning I decided to look through my fabric stash in hopes of finding suitable fabrics to make a special quilt for one of my uncles who was recently diagnosed with cancer.  I have this panel with phrases stating what cancer cannot do that was purchased in December when I heard about the diagnosis.

I found a few fat quarters and a few 1 yard pieces of batiks in neutral colors in my stash. He is a huge University of Tennessee Fan so I figure that he will like the splash of orange thrown in with all the neutrals.

Hopefully this will come together quickly. There is a pattern that was included with the panel but I'm sure I will want to enlarge it somewhat.  I will share my progress with you over the next couple of days.  He started treatment this week and it is very hard on him.  I want to get this quilt made and finished as quick as possible to send to him.

On a side note, I DID finish adding the borders to my Serene Garden quilt top and it is now temporarily hanging in the quilt shop for class sign-ups this Saturday.  I will need to finish quilting and binding it soon but didn't have time to do everything by Saturday. :)

What have you been up to these last few days?

No comments:

Post a Comment