Thursday, February 2, 2017

New Year, New Goals

Hello friends!  It's been awhile since you last heard from me.  Sometimes life is hard, and sometimes it gets harder before the sun starts to shine again.  The last few months have been rather dark but I do believe I'm beginning to see some sunlight starting to peek through the haze.

The loss of my 37 year old son-in-law back in late September, 2016 has taken a toll on all of us but especially his wife, my daughter Shannon.

She has dealt with health issues of her own for many years and they just seemed to multiply combined with deep depression after the truly unexpected loss of the love of her life.  Just coping with every day life has been difficult for her and she has had to rely on family quite a bit.

Since I live approximately 12 hours (by car) away from her, helping her has somewhat turned my own life upside down during the past few months.

Shannon had surgery on January 6th and is doing very well now with that particular health issue.  I've just returned this week to New York and am hoping that life will settle down now and we ALL can get back to at least a semi-normal life.

While I was in Tennessee caring for her and my three grandchildren, believe it or not, I actually got some sewing accomplished.  The only spot I could claim as "mine" while staying in her home was a portion of her kitchen table. :)

Where there is a will, there is always a way. :)  Sewing and quilting has always been my "therapy" and I knew that I would NEED some of this therapy to cope while being away from my own home, husband and family in New York.  Before leaving New York I packed up my double decker Stanley Tool Box with one of my Singer Featherweights, iron, rotary cutter and mat, fabric and tons of notions.  Sewing at her house reminded me of all the years that I had no designated sewing space to call my own and had to use my own kitchen table.  This experience has made me truly thankful for the space I have now. :)

My youngest grandson kept me entertained as I sewed.  (Oh to be young and nimble enough to fold my body inside a remote control truck box!!!!!

During my time in Tennessee, my oldest grandson (facing the camera) celebrated his 16th birthday! It's truly hard to believe all the years that have gone by since I witnessed his birth in the delivery room.  Being in Tennessee also allowed me to be near my youngest daughter, and her new boyfriend as they attend college near by.

After looking through the photos I snapped I realized I never got a good photo of my granddaughter.  That is her red hair between my youngest daughter and her boyfriend. :)

Being with my grandchildren during this time also allowed me to be a part of special school days....like "Senior Adult Day" when my youngest grandson had to dress up as a senior adult!  Isn't he the cutest "old man" with that gray hair, glasses, button up shirt and vest!!!!!!

Being in Tennessee also gave me the opportunity to visit my Aunt Brenda and her Miniature Schnauzer Sophia Loren (aka Sophie).  This dog is very special to me because she was sired by our own Scamp back in the day when we bred Miniature Schnauzers.  We lost Scamp to cancer over a year ago and his daughter Sophie is the "spitting image" of her daddy.  Sophie is getting up in age herself and I just pray she remains healthy and has many more years to give companionship to my Aunt.

The sewing project I worked on was Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery quilt.

One of the clues finished.....

Another clue finished.....

And another.....

And another.....

There are a few more clues finished that I must have forgotten to take photos of as they were sewn together.  I was able to complete all of the clues while there but didn't attempt to start assembling the top together.  It would be less stressful to do that part once I was back in my own sewing space and could make use of my wonderful design wall.

It's truly awesome being back home....even if it is snowing and much colder here!!!!  Hopefully, life will settle down now and I can get back to quilting and blogging on a more routine basis.

Blessings everyone!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy. Ask me how I know. Loosing my oldest son 2.5 years ago is still to this day not easy, but I'm coping. So sending you lots of hugs. Concentrate on the positives and try to enjoy life even if it is the little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. I guess we all just have to learn to take life one day at a time.....that's all we can do. Hugs to you as well!

      Delete
  2. So sorry for the dark days, Theresa. I send prayers of comfort and healing to your family and especially your daughter.

    ReplyDelete