Friday, April 12, 2013

Birthday Blocks heading to Texas!

It's that time again, a wonderful lady in our Birthday Block Swap group is having a birthday on April 19th.  Life has been a little hectic (what's new, right??), and I waited to the last minute to get her birthday blocks made.  My dear hubby is taking them to the post office for me today.

Once again I'm IN LOVE with these two blocks and it is so difficult to let them go!  And once again, I chose block designs that are completely new to me and are quite a challenge to piece together.  Patricia had requested that her blocks be made using the colors purple, turquoise, lime green and white as a neutral.

This first block is called "Chain Mail", and was designed by Debbie Maddy.


In my opinion, this is a very modern design.  There are 54 pieces within this 12 1/2" block.  It took me the better part of the day to do this.  It wasn't exactly a hard block to piece together, it just required much thought when piecing the individual shapes together in order to do it right and not end up having to rip out and make corrections. :)  If at all possible, I try to avoid ripping out seams! LOLOL

I can only imagine how beautiful a quilt top would look totally constructed with this block design...but I honestly don't know if I'd ever have the patience to construct multitudes of this one design.  It would take forever!

The second block is called "Codex", and was designed by Scott Murkin.


I believe this design would also be considered a modern pattern.  As you can see, I used the same fabrics in both the blocks.  This block's construction was easier and took less time, but it still required my brain to work hard to make sure I was putting each piece together correctly.  There are 33 pieces within this 12 1/2" block.

If you are interested in either, or both of these patterns, they both can be found in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks, Volume 6, Winter 2012.

Before I packaged them up to mail to Texas, I couldn't resist laying them side by side and taking one last photo.


Oh my goodness...I really would love to keep these blocks...but I must let them go. :)  I hope Patricia likes them as much as I do!! :) :)

Until next time,....

No comments:

Post a Comment