Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Big Dogs Require Big Beds

My adult daughters have not followed my example of owning little foo-foo dogs...no...they have GIANTS!  I warned them that EVERYTHING dog related would at least triple in cost when intended for a big dog versus a small dog.  Did they listen?  NO! :) :) :)

I got a call the other day from one of them complaining about the cost to purchase a dog bed large enough for a big dog to lounge without falling off the edges on all sides.

Mom to the rescue....


A quick look through my fabric stash and I located this very colorful piece of canvas type, thick, sturdy fabric.  Hummm....maybe not the colors they were expecting, but hey....it's free! :) :)

I ended up making an approximately 40" square dog bed.  I still have exactly enough fabric left over to make one more matching dog bed but will wait until I have something to stuff it.  The one above is stuffed with recycled stuffing.  My one daughter takes after me in some ways...she has saved all the stuffing from inside toys and bedding, etc., from the early days of puppy hood and teething.  (Smart girl if I do say so myself!)

Once my girls took the new bed to their home, I received the following pictures that evening of my happy grand-doggers each taking turns trying it out.

Sweet little Kiara...a boxer mix...


Sweet little Jackson...a pit bull mix....


And the newest (and last) addition to their home...

Precious little Bear...he is half German Shepherd and half Labrador Retriever...


These three GIANTS still bow down to my house full of little foo-foo dogs.  :)

One last photo taken of Kiara and Bear sharing the new bed while they both slept peacefully....


They probably won't be able to share for too much longer.  Oh well...maybe I'll be able to finish the next one by that time.

Happy Sewing everyone!

1 comment: