Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mama's Baby Quilts (& one of my own too!)

I've been quilting away trying to finish as many of my Mama's quilts as possible before two of my daughters head to Tennessee on Saturday.

Along with the quilt tops Mama had sent with me to New York, she had also sent a large piece of solid lavender fabric in case I could find a use for it.  When I got it home and measure it, I realized it was approximately 58" wide....perfect for most baby, toddler and lap quilts.  Also, it was nearly 7 yards long!!

This first quilt is 46" x 63".....


I used a quilting design/pantograph called "Cloud Nine" by Urban Elementz.

Little bit closer look....


Here's the back....I turned off the flash on my camera in order to get a better view of the actual quilting stitches....


The second quilt is 47" x 61" (one of my favorites that she made)


I used the same pantograph called "Cloud Nine" by Urban Elementz for this one also.  Here's a picture with my hand on it to give a better idea the intricacy of the quilting....


This third quilt is 41" x 41"....


This time I decided to use a different pantograph called "Page Boy", also by Urban Elementz.

A peek at the back.....


I still had plenty of the solid lavender backing fabric left so I search through my own projects and brought out my own baby quilt top I had assembled a couple months ago using some embroidery blocks.  Because of the six embroidery designs, I decided to do some free motion quilting.  Since I didn't use the same free motion design over the entire quilt...I guess I can "very loosely" call this custom quilting. (I say that with a BIG chuckle because I have a LONG way to go!)

Front....this quilt is 30" x 40"....


Closer view....


Basically, I did a little bit of "stitching in the ditch" around the outer pink border and purple border...then I added some free motion flowers in the purple border....free motion up and down squiggles inside the pink border....petite meandering in all the center blocks surrounding the six embroidery blocks...and last but not least a small, loopy, ruffle around the inside of each embroidery block.

Here's the back....


I'm tired now....but there's no rest for the weary!  I must go cook supper! :)

2 comments:

  1. you have out done yourself. Your quilting sure does make my sewing look much better. Thanks so much.. Glad you could use the material. I really did like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your baby quilt is very pretty, I like the colors

      Delete