Friday, May 3, 2013

What A Tangled Web I Weaved!

I'm almost embarrassed to admit what I've been doing the past few days.  You will probably come to the conclusion that I am completely crazy and worry too much about my quilting blocks!  I will probably agree with you!

First off...do you remember my last post concerning birthday blocks heading to Massachusetts?  Well, the birthday girl requested "fire-filled" colors...in oranges, reds, yellows, lime greens, etc.  I made two blocks but as I prepared to mail them, I just couldn't shake an uneasy feeling that I had not chosen appropriate colors and fabrics for her blocks.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the finished blocks, I just started to question if I had truly understood her request.  My youngest daughter and my mother both thought I was going a bit overboard with my worries and suggested I just go ahead and mail the blocks....but I couldn't do it! LOLOL

Rather than mail them off, I set them aside and started working on the next birthday girl in line to receive quilt blocks.  Peggi lives in Washington State and her only request was BRIGHT...any color combinations, just BRIGHT and if a neutral is needed...use white.  Easy enough...right?

So I started working...

1st block I came up with is called "Wind-surfing"...designer is Nan Baker.


2nd block I experimented with is called "Round Rosie"...designer is Pam Vieira-McGinnis.


I liked both of these blocks, but then the thought entered my mind that the last two blocks I made  would be considered BRIGHT and I liked them even better. :)

Here's a reminder of the last two blocks I had originally made for Chrissy in Massachusetts....


I'm so confused at this point!!  What should I do!!!

After more thought, I remembered Chrissy mentioning her love of butter yellows, etc...well, the yellow in the above two blocks is more bright lemon rather than soft butter.  Then I re-read the birthday list and realized that she has requested "light filled colors" not "fire filled colors".  Now I'm even more uneasy and confused!!!!!

Back to the drawing board (and my fat quarter stash)....

I pulled out a few softer colors of oranges, yellows and lime greens.

I made a second Round Rosie block...doesn't this look totally different from the bright version two pictures above (with orange, purple, yellow and pink flowers)????


Then I chose a totally different pattern for the second block....

This is called "Lattice"...designer is Cindy Lammon.


The two blocks together....


I feel better now....my heart is no longer racing...

The more I look at this new blocks the more I think an entire quilt using these softer colors of orange, yellow and green would be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Here is a pic of the two brighter blocks next to the two softer blocks....


The packages are filled, addressed and Ray has taken them to the post office for me today....so I can't second guess myself any longer. :)  The top two bright blocks are on their way to Peggi in Washington state and the bottom two blocks are now on their way to Chrissy in Massachusetts.

Are you wondering what I did with the first two blocks I shared in this post?.....


For now, they will go into my "orphan block" plastic storage container.  I may decide to use the "Wind-surfing" block as a pillow top for Amanda's beach-themed home...and keep the Round Rosie (right) to add to a future orphan quilt top.  Who knows....I have plenty of time to decide what to do with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment