Thursday, June 20, 2013

Playing With My New Ruler - Birthday Blocks

I've been having fun playing with my new Learning Curve Ruler while putting together birthday blocks for quilters in the online birthday block swap group.


The first birthday quilter (whose birthday is early July) lives in Texas.  She requested blocks in turquoise, bright pinks and purples.  Using the new ruler, first I made 4 - 4 1/2" squares (the pink/purple blocks with the curved seam), the I cut 1 - 4 1/2" turquoise square and 4 - 4 1/2" floral prints squares.  My thought was to make a basic 9-patch block "with a twist"....or in this case "with a curve". :)  I think it's cute...simple and easy, but different in a good way.

I used one of the blocks assembled in my tutorial for Method 1 as the second block to send her.


I think she will be very happy with her birthday blocks!

There are two quilters with birthdays close together so I'm mailing both of their packages at the same time.  The second set of birthday blocks are headed to Australia!!!  This birthday quilter requested ANYTHING bright, not too dark, VERY BRIGHT....especially turquoise, hot pinks, purples, lime greens, etc., etc.

So...here are the blocks I'm sending to her....


The block on the left is called Wind-Surfing, designed by Nan Baker.  You should recognize the block on the right from my Method 1 tutorial. :)

One more thing before I close this post.  Can you believe I've been quilting for two decades and I've never had a design wall?  I've always used my floor...but that's getting harder and harder to reach these days! heehee

Looky, looky at my new toy! :)


Of course I would like one bigger....but hey, this is better than nothing!  It is 60" x 72" (I think! :) :)  Maybe one day, when I'm a REAL quilter I will have a design wall that stretches across an entire wall! LOL

Until next time!

1 comment: