Monday, July 1, 2013
QAL First Block and Start of Carpenter's Star
The first lesson/block is finished for the online Aiming For Accuracy Quilt A-Long. I decided to follow the suggestive means to piece the block together by the designer. I figured it never hurts to try things a new and different way at times.
1) The designer suggested we "press seams open" rather than the traditional "pressing to one side" train of thought. I pressed the seams open, but I'm not convinced that it is better....in fact, a miracle will have to take place to change my thoughts....but I'll keep trying (on this project only!). What I found was that by pressing the seams open, it was much more difficult to "nest the seams", and keep them in the correct place while sewing (even when it was pinned together). Granted, the block as a whole may "lay smoother and flatter", but getting the sharp, accurate matched seams is more important to me than how smooth the block lays on the table. :) :) :)
2) The directions called for cutting (in my case) yellow squares and red squares, placing them face to face, marking the diagonal center and sewing 1/4" on each side of the diagonal center line....then cutting along the diagonal line, resulting in two half-square triangle units. Admittedly, this is the way MOST directions for MOST quilt projects suggest making these units. BUT I AM A REBEL!!! I prefer to cut strips and use my Easy Angle Ruler. (more on that in the next post) Although I did end up with the sections needed, I feel that using the Easy Angle Ruler gives me more accurate half-square triangle units, is easier all around and just makes more sense!! LOLOL
I also started a new quilt top over the weekend. It is called a Carpenter's Star and I'm making a queen size version of the pattern.
This time, when the directions said to make the numerous half-square triangle units as described above...I said NO!!!!!! Instead...I used my handy, dandy, grand-pappy sized Easy Angle Ruler II (yes they come in different sizes...4 1/2", 6 1/2" and 10 1/2"...and yes....I have them all and use them daily).
The entire quilt top is cut out and ready to sew....no drawing lines on the diagonal and then cutting squares into triangles. Nope....it's all ready to sew, neat, tidy, triangle units cut and naturally already stacked face to face.... and stress-free! LOLOL
Here's one little peek.....will show more of the top in a future post. :)
I quickly realized that my new design wall is not big enough for all my "works in progress". I had to remove other blocks in order to lay out my Carpenter's Star pieces. I also learned another interesting tidbit concerning design walls this weekend. A less-expensive, yet just as nice version is to purchase a large, vinyl, flannel backed table cloth for $1.00 at a Dollar Tree and hang it...it's exactly what a "design wall" purchased at a craft/fabric store is....the back of my design wall is white vinyl with black grid marks....the front side is white flannel just like the table cloths.... I paid $14.00....40% off regular price....but still more than $1.00. I sure wish I knew about the tablecloth a few weeks ago. :( The fabric blocks just stick to the flannel....works great...no pinning needed normally. I think I'll be making a trip to the Dollar Tree soon and hanging a vinyl table cloth next to my other design wall to give me more space! :)
Until next time!