Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Update, College and Recipe

The updates for days 4, 5, and 6 concerning the panic quilt is not much to brag about. I purposely have been taking it easy because unfortunately, sitting at the sewing machine doesn't make my bad hip, knee and foot feel great.

I think I've decided to stop at 25 blocks rather than the original plan for 30.  All of the blocks are pieced at this point but they still need to be pressed before putting it all together.

I thought you may like to know how my daughter is doing in college.  She LOVES it! My family and friends find it hard to believe that I've not shed the first tear since leaving her at college 12 hours away. The truth is, how can I cry when she is so happy! Of course I miss her like crazy and its very lonely in the house all day with her away....BUT....she's having the time of her life and I'm thrilled for her to experience life and spread her wings and fly!

She loves photography and has assignments requiring her to take pictures. She and her new classmates have found a local scenic spot that is only a couple minutes from the college campus called Buffalo Mountain lookout.  They tend to go there and hike several times a week.

The picture below was taken by one of her friends....look closely on the right and you will see her red hair.  A picture of her taking a picture of a beautiful sunset.

A couple weeks ago she mentioned that she and her roommate really needed some furniture because other students gather in their room for games and to watch Netflix. Knowing she is on the six floor of her dorm building, I couldn't imagine having to carry a futon, etc up six flights of stairs. I started researching and found an inflatable sofa and surprised her by ordering it and having it shipped there, along with an air pump.  She says that everyone flipped over it and that it is extremely comfortable.

She even said that they pick it up and take it to whatever room is hosting the game night, etc.  It's a hit....I did a good job!  Haha

To prove how happy she was, she sent this photo after getting it all set up for an evening of Netflix.

Before closing today's post, I wanted to share a recipe that I've been making for ten years or more and is one of our family favorites.  We invited a houseful to watch the Steeler vs Redskins football game last night.  This is super easy and delicious.  You can make as much or as little as you need.  I needed a huge pot!

SLOW COOKER SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN
SERVES 8 - 10

5 or 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
3 cans corn
2 cans black beans
1 large economy size container (or 4 small jars) Salsa

(To serve 2-4 people, just use 2 or 3 chicken breasts, 1 can of corn, 1 can of black beans and 1 jar of Salsa.)

Mix together the corn, black beans and salsa in the slow cooker.


Arrange the chicken breasts cut in half on top of mixture.


Cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours).

Serve over white rice.

Additional toppings to have on hand:  Sour cream and Shredded Cheddar Cheese

This is a hearty and filling meal!

If you have leftovers, it heats up great for lunches, etc.

Until next time....Happy sewing and quilting!

2 comments:

  1. Recipe sounds yummy. And what an awesome find . . . an inflatable couch?! You must be the coolest mom on campus!

    ReplyDelete