Friday, June 22, 2012

Amanda's Quilt

So much for all the "I'm going to be selfish and make things for me" attitude.  It lasted all of one whole day! :) 

To be completely honest, I had pieced and finished a quilt top for Amanda two years ago in honor of her high school graduation and before I could finish it, I fell and broke my elbow!

Here I sit, two years later and Amanda just graduated from college with an Associate's in Health Information Technology and I haven't finished her quilt.  I MUST finish it!!!


Thankfully, she still loves the fabrics...she better, since she is the one who chose them.  Amanda has a fun, quirky personality and her fabric choices prove it.  Her favorite color is orange of all things! :)

Even though she is a fun loving girl, the fabrics are 1930's replica (my personal fav!).   It's a giant windmill block.

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and sandwiched the top, batting and backing together.  I used a white muslin for the back (not sure it was the perfect choice, but Amanda likes white over natural tan muslin).

Today is the day I start machine quilting it.


I set up my trusty Pfaff Creative 2134...I am so happy I purchased this machine all those years ago.  I have really put to use the embroidery functions.  I located a embroidery/quilt design in the shape of a windmill so I thought that machine quilting a windmill in each of the four blocks that make up the one giant windmill on top would be kind of cute and unique. 


Can you see that I'm using Orange quilting thread?  I've never been this brave before....we'll have to wait and see if it turns out okay.  Too late now.....


Not too bad I guess....


3 finished, only approx. 77 more to go.  After all the windmill outlines are quilted I do intend to go back and quilt in the ditch around the actual blocks before calling it complete.

I'm using a white thread for the bobbin, but it appears that the orange top thread is peeking though the bottom of the quilt.  At first I was really upset but the more I look at it, the more I think that Amanda will love it just the way it is....and I just probably won't use orange thread to quilt many more quilt tops!!! :)


Sadly my back won't let me do this non-stop, so I have no idea how many days it will take me to finish this part of the work.

Until next time,
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment