Saturday, June 30, 2012

Busy Little Beaver

I've been keeping busy the past couple of days preparing for an uncoming quilt workshop I will be attending.  I'm so excited!  The class will be taught by Bonnie Hunter from North Carolina (YES...a good ol' southern girl traveling up north for a 2 day workshop...YEEEHAWWW!)  I've been a big fan of hers for several years now and can't wait to finally meet her in person. 

You can check out her website at:  www.quiltville.com

I'm going to keep some of the information secret until my "big reveal" after the workshop....but just to get you going, I'll tell you bits and pieces of what I'm doing. LOL

First of all, Bonnie Hunter is a huge advocate for "scrap quilting".  I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with this concept because I've always been a "matchy-matchy" kind of girl.  I want to learn to be more carefree with my color choices because I truly do love the look of scrap quilts.  I just feel that other people's scraps are prettier than mine! LOLOL

Thankfully, there are "just enough opportunities" in this quilt top design to allow us to be a tad matchy in order to tie the entire look together and still use up tons of scraps.

In preparation for the class, I've lost count of all the 2 1/2 inch strips of fabrics I have cut over the past few weeks.  (I have to do a little at a time or it will kill my back!)

First, I will need 696 quarter square triangles using scraps of all colors......


Then I will need 90 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles cut from neutral fabric....


To make one section of the piecing easier....I need to cut 6 strips of neutral fabric - 4 1/2" wide  (selvage to selvage) and 12 strips of dark fabric - 2 1/2" wide....then sew a dark strip to each side of the neutral strip, then subcut into 90 sections that will look like this.....


If I didn't take advantage of the above "quicker method" then I would have needed to cut out 90 more neutral rectangles and 180 - 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" dark squares (no thank you! LOL)

Next I will need 180 flying geese center triangles from neutral fabric...


Then I will need 360 - 2 1/2" half-square triangles cut from my TOP SECRET color choice to complete the 180 flying geese blocks.  You will just have to wait and see my special "pop of color" choice after the workshop.

Next I will need 180 - 2 1/2" half-square triangles cut from neutral fabric....


And last, but not least, I will need 180 - 2 1/2" half-square triangles cut from dark fabric....


All color choices are left up to the individual quilter taking the class so the color combinations will be endless and certainly beautiful.  I'm sure there will be some quilters that use even more "matchy" fabric choices than I have done, and then there will be some that are much braver than I am (I'm working on it!) and will use only scraps....ending up with a true beautiful scrap quilt.

The class will take place July 24th, so you'll have to wait until then for any further updates concerning this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment