Saturday, June 23, 2012

Auction Finds and other savings

My dear hubby has become obsessed with Auctions...yes, Auctions.  I think it may be a mid-life thing! LOL  For at least a year now, he LOVES to sit for hours and watch antique shows, pawn shop reality shows, vintage car auctions....my goodness....I even catch him watching CATTLE auctions on TV!!! 

I'm afraid that my new found love of vintage Singer Featherweights was a good enough reason to push him over the edge!!!  (Yes, somehow, someway, everything is always my fault! LOL)

He has always had a love of pocket watches and old clocks for as long as I've known him, but that's all it was....a love for, not a hobby.  I'm not sure how it happened, but in the blink of an eye...(and I do mean it happened that quickly)....Ray had a "light bulb moment"!

My love for vintage Featherweights + his love of old clocks + all the information he has learned from watching all the auction TV shows = Ray is ready to morph into an obsessed, auction attendee and bidder.

He called me from work yesterday afternoon to tell me that he had heard of an auction taking place about an hour away.  There was supposed to be old clocks galore, handfuls of pocket watches and a Singer Featherweight.  He HAD to go and check it out.

He left the house at 4:30 p.m. and returned at 11:45 p.m.  I should mention that I did offer to go with him this time, but he was afraid this particular auction would take hours (which it did) and that I wouldn't be happy sitting in a hard chair for so long.  (He was right!)

Sadly, he didn't win any of the clocks or pocket watches that he bid on.  I am frugal, but Ray is CHEAP!!!!  If he can't get it for "next to nothing", he won't buy it. 

BUT...he did come home with not one, but two surprises for me. 

First was this 1952 Singer Featherweight....


It's dusty and dirty, but the gold decals are still beautiful and intact.  There was no case, nor accessories, but it works (so the message written on a piece of masking tape on the back of the machine says) and he was so proud of himself for winning the auction for this piece. 

The last surprise was a Commemorative Centennial Singer lamp/music box....


This piece was made in 1951.  He thought it was perfect when he bid on it, but on closer inspection, it does have a small piece broken off the sewing machine part of the figurine.  The music box still works and plays "The Anniversary Waltz".   What is it truly worth?  I have no clue, but after some research online this morning.  I did find that there was an anniversary music box made to celebrate the centennial anniversary of Singer and there were only 75 made.  It didn't mention lamps...but as we inspect the lamp, it looks more like someone took the porcelain music box and glued it to the top of a plastic lamp base.  There's actually a hole cut out of the bottom of the plastic base so you can stick your hand through and wind the music box.  So...we possibly have something very rare and of value OR we may not! LOL  We'll have to continuing doing some research on this item.

In the meantime....it looks like I have a new lamp that I need to figure out where to put! :)

Before ending this post, I should say that Ray wasn't the only one who bargain shopped today.  I took a trip to our local Joann's Fabrics.  I had to....I had no choice....I couldn't say no!  When you have that rare 30% off EVERYTHING (sale, clearance, & regular priced items) coupon....a girl has to do what a girl has to do!!!!!


Everything was on sale...most of the items I ended up getting 90% off!  Now THAT'S a deal!!!  A friend recently told me how wonderful Warm & Natural batting was....and since I have a few quilt tops in the making...well, you get my drift! ;)  There was Bernat baby yarn on sale and some on clearance.  Most of the choices were already sold out, but I did find 6 skeins I can use for Grandma's Promise items.  The storage containers were on sale 60% off with an additional 30% off using my coupon.  These are wonderful for storing completed quilt squares, etc.  The only thing that I purchased that WASN'T on sale was that lonely one skein of Montana Sky Homespun yarn....but I did use a separate 40% off one regular priced item coupon.  I'm finishing up a sofa sized afghan and needed just a little more of the Montana Sky to finish it up.  Don't you just hate it when that happens!

Oh well....I felt very satisfied with my "extreme couponing" shopping expedition.

Now I'm tired....until next time,
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment