Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Scrappy Crib Quilt Top


Over the weekend I became so tired of the constant cold, snow and dreariness that I decided to snoop around my stash of fabric goodies and see if I could find something bright, cheery and small to experiment with in the sewing room.

I found a Moda Jelly Roll (roll of pre-cut 2 1/2" strips of fabric)....so cute, pastels with a pop of red for a pleasant surprise.  The design line is doggie related so there are dogs, bones, etc...along with florals, plaids, etc., and each fabric has a vintage look from probably the 1930's...right up my alley! :) :)  I needed a few additional strips of fabric in order to have enough for this 48" x 48" square crib size quilt top so I added a few solid pastels to the bunch.

This is SO easy and simple and there is a detailed, step-by-step, color photo, printable tutorial at this link:


Because Bonnie Hunter is famous for being a "scrappy quilter"...she does not include actual fabric requirements in this particular tutorial.  Don't worry, I did the math for you. :)

My calculations are based on starting out with 2 1/2" strips of fabric that are WOF (width of fabric)...typically 44".  Of course, then you would simply follow her instructions from that point on.

To make a Crib size quilt - (48" x 48" square)  you will need 48 strips of fabric 2 1/2" wide x WOF

To make a Twin size quilt - (72" x 96") you will need 144 strips of fabric 2 1/2" wide x WOF

To make a Queen size quilt - (96" x 96" square) you will need 192 strips of fabric 2 1/2" wide x WOF

To make a King size quilt - (120" x 120" square) you will need 300 strips of fabric 2 1/2" wide x WOF

This truly was a very simple design and it only took a couple days to complete a crib size top.  I'm folding this up and putting it away until it gets quilted...then it will be saved for whenever, if ever, I have another grandchild.  With three more daughters left to one day hopefully marry and have children....I hope I have many more grandchildren.....in the FUTURE. :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment