Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sew, sew, sew your seams...


Forewarning:  

This blog post will jump from topic to topic....that's just how my brain is working today. LOL

Sewing, and anything sewing related is keeping me sane during these recent frigid temperatures.  At 10:30am this morning, it was only 3 degrees outside.  Our heat source just can't keep up with these cold temperatures and I find myself retreating to my sewing room because I don't feel like doing anything else.

Sometimes I just find joy in looking through my quilting books and magazines and "dreaming".  Because of the Birthday Swap Block group I joined, I've spent a lot of time the past few days looking for potential block patterns to make for future birthday ladies.


Thankfully, I can say that I DID finish SOMETHING.....all 32 of one of the block designs needed for my Tennessee Waltz quilt top is complete....whew.....


Now I just need to cut out and assemble 31 - 8 1/2" Snow Ball blocks to go along with the above blocks and then I can assemble the entire top. :) :) :)

It has been decided that this year will be a year that I focus on frugality!  Have I ever mentioned how thankful I am for the stash of fabric and everything else craft related that I have accumulated over the past 24 years of married bliss?  If it were not for the mass accumulated stash I possess...I may be feeling a tad bit depressed these days....but I'm not! :)  It's a good thing that I stuck to my guns during all those military moves we made when I fearlessly stood over my "stash" like a mother hen over her chicks and REFUSED to get rid of anything....but insisted everything be packed and moved with us. LOLOLOL  (And yes, the fact that I could possibly open my own fabric/craft store is beside the point! :) :)

I'm sure that most families are experiencing the effects of the "fiscal cliff" tax ramifications, some worse than others.  On top of that, I'm also certain that we are not the only family who is faced with a HUGE increase in our health insurance premiums.  These two items, both starting January 1st, will have a great effect on our family budget....so it's time for some creative juggling and saving for essentials....and using what I have for my personal hobby.

So my first small way of using up what I have rather than buying new....drum roll please....is to use up those odds and ends,  the half-used spools of thread to do my quilt piecing.

I'm so proud of myself....look at my empty spools thus far.  (You can probably tell by the colors of the empty spools the age of some of the thread.....old!!!!)


It's not much....but it's a start! :) :) :)

Think I'll go load the dishwasher and then go back to the sewing room....until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment