Sunday, January 12, 2014

Amanda's Christmas Quilt


Today let me show you the Christmas quilt I made for Amanda (twin to Emily in my previous blog post).  In all the excitement of giving it to her, I forgot to take a photo of her holding the quilt (kicking myself over that one!).  

Amanda's tastes are more whimsical and her color preferences are more vintage modern.  

I used another layer cake (pre-cut 10" squares of fabric) and again made a disappearing 9-patch design.

This first pic shows the blocks prior to sashing and cornerstones....


Now with sashings and first border....


Oops...I guess I forgot to take a photo once the final wider red border was added....sorry! :)

I searched again through my stash of fabrics and found the perfect backing piece....


Are you ready for a big ol' belly laugh?!!!!  I know I have a tendency to keep everything.  I know I rarely can get rid of anything....but this is hilarious....even for me!!!!!

The receipt was still pinned to this piece of fabric.  The receipt is dated July 17, 1991 for 6 yards (exactly what I needed to back this quilt), and the price was $1.00/per yard!!!!  

Amanda wasn't even born until 1992!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Time to quilt it.....

I used a panto design called "Swoosh".  It can be purchased from Urban Elementz.

Quilting is finished....


Close-up....


I use any and every spare minute I can find to work on my projects....even if it means hand-sewing binding in my car (in the cold) while my youngest has basketball practice.  Aren't my fingerless gloves adorable?? LOLOL


Label on the back....


I'm just so glad I was able to get both girl's quilt finished before Christmas actually arrived so they could enjoy them for a few days over the holidays.  By the way, YES I know I have more daughters but my oldest received a quilt on her birthday in 2013 and my youngest asked that I NOT make her a Christmas quilt.  heehee

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment