Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Design Challenge - Sashing


As I searched through my fabric stash for something suitable to use between the rows of houses and trees (including a top strip and bottom strip), I knew I wanted green, and I knew I needed something to lighten up the darkness of all the house blocks.  I pulled out a lime green with little purple flowers and hoped I had enough.

I decided to cut strips 3 1/2" x WOF, giving me a finished 3" sashing between the rows of houses.

You will need five sashing strips that measure 3 1/2" x 48 1/2" long.....( if seams were sewn with an accurate scant 1/4").  If you are worried, then measure your rows to determine exactly how wide you need to make them. :) :)

If you cut seven 3 1/2" x WOF strips of fabric then you will have a gracious plenty with pieces to toss into your scrap basket.  Having said that, I must admit that I had JUST enough fabric to cut not seven, but only SIX 3 1/2" x WOF strips.  I could have changed my plans and cut the strips narrower, but I really wanted that wider sashing....so....I prayed I wouldn't make any mistakes and could squeeze by with JUST enough. :) :)

It worked....and here is a picture of the scraps I had left over when all was said and done.....


Speaking of scrap baskets, as I was sewing, I turned around and spotted this precious sight.  My Talia (one of my house full of tiny fur babies...a Mi-Ki) curled up and sleeping peacefully on top of a pile of scraps in a basket next to my rocking chair.  She is 9 years old and weighs only 4 lbs.  She has plenty of beds to choose from, but obviously none compare to a pile of scraps. :)


My goodness, all that's left to do with this Design Challenge is to add the borders and quilt it.  There are a few ideas running through my head....I just have to settle on which one to do. :)  Once that decision is made, I'll share it with you!

Stay warm and happy quilting!

2 comments:

  1. That sashing really does brighten up the rows of houses. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! The blocks were so dark and needed some umph. Had I not been using the "design challenge blocks" given to me...I think I probably would have used lighter, brighter colors in the construction of each "miniature quilt" so they would pop off the darker houses.

      Delete