Friday, January 10, 2014

Emily's Christmas Quilt Recap


I was so busy during the month of December trying to finish gifts, etc., that I got way behind on my blog posts and now need to do some catching up.  Now that I think about it...I think I'm ALWAYS playing catch-up whether it's the holidays or not....must be an age related thing! :) :) :)

Now that Emily and Amanda (my twins) are out of the nest and in their own home, I enjoy making them special gifts.  This year I decided to make each of them a Christmas themed quilt.  Emily is a very traditional girl and likes traditional Christmas colors and designs...red, green, gold, etc.  She browsed through my Christmas fabric choices and made her decision.  Originally I had only intended to make her a sofa/lap sized quilt but then she and her sister both liked the idea of a twin size quilt instead.  They thought they could drape a twin over the sofa if they wanted, but it also leaves the option of covering a future twin guest bed, etc.

I wasn't attempting to make an intricate, extremely time consuming quilt...just something quick, easy and Christmas themed....especially since I needed to make two different quilts!  I decided to use a layer-cake (10" pre-cut collection of fabrics), make a "disappearing 9-patch" block, use sashings and cornerstones to separate the blocks and a border to finish it off.  Easy peasy!

On the design wall...sashings attached, just needing borders.....


Time to quilt it on the long-arm.....


The quilting design I decided to use is called "Snow Winds".  The paper or digital version can be purchased at Urban Elementz.  


The quilting looks so pretty on the quilt.....


Another view...


I wish I could have gotten a better picture, but there wasn't enough room to get the "WHOLE" quilt....


I used a pale yellow/gold fabric with golden Christmas bells on the back of the quilt.  Isn't it cute?  Of course, I also had to include a label in the bottom corner.


Emily was very happy with her Christmas quilt thank goodness!

Now I need to gather photos to share Amanda's quilt in a different blog post!  There's ALWAYS something needing done! :) :)

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your quilts and postings, found you through Bonnie Hunter and your quilting with your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy...you are welcome to visit my blog anytime!

      Delete